Csr Jara (Argentina)

Csr Jara (Argentina)

I know this blog ios not the right place to speak about my life, but where else can I do that ? Especially when it is more or less related to the lmain topic of the blog ? So, a long time ago I spent so time working in Argentina and trust me, since then I have always thought that if one day I had to escape France I would directly go to Buenos Aires. Why ? Because life is there, full of music, culture, beautiful women and so and so… It took me time to spot out one argentinian poster artist but I was sure such a guy was existing and here we are today... bienvenido a Csr Jara, it's time for Quilmes and empanadas de jamon y queso !


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Hi! when I work I listen a lot Ska, Punk and Rock in general. Lately I'm listening to Turbonegro The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and cds from the early years of argentinian band Massacre.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm César Jara aka CSR from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm an illustrator and animator, and i make art for local rock bands, gig posters cd art and design, flyers etc.

When did you start drawing?

Since I have memory took a paper and draw with pencils, pens, whatever.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

Both, studied Fine Arts and Animation and at home inspired me cartoons and comics.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Currently working in a company that makes video games for social networks, as an animator and illustrator. I also work freelance for some rock bands.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not at this time, but some years ago made ​​my own comic book called "Nariz de Payaso" (Clown Nose) that showed the battle between gangs of mimes and clowns.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My biggest influence comes from cartoons: Ren and Stimpy, Looney Tunes, Tex Avery. Artists could list many here are some with no particular order: Coop, Jim Phillips, John Kricfalusi,

Bruce Timm, Dürer, Toulouse Lautrec, Alphonse Mucha, studies of faces of Da Vinci and a long etcetera

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Sketch with pencil, clean up, ink, digital color with wacom tablet.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Mostly drawings and sketches by hand and colored in computer

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Two or three days ... it depends on the complexity of the design

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

As I say before, i had a classical academic training and woul not be a problem placing an order like that, but I always try to advise the client to perform work within my style.

For which band have you already worked for?

Mostly for underground bands from Argentina (Las Plantas No Pecan, Piquete de Ojos, Running Potatoes, Stax, Lo Mas Horrible del Mundo, Hoy Dormis Afuera, Rolo y los Fucking Adictos) and I was lucky to make posters for mainstream argentinian bands such as: El Otro Yo, Todos tus Muertos, Karamelo Santo, Kumbia Queers, WDK.

For which band would you love to work?

Uff! so many ... I think it would fit perfectly with Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Turbonegro, Gogol Bordello, any Punk or Ska band would be an honor for me.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

I feel that I am just starting in this career and any artist interested in my art is welcome

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

The very first idea, from there onwards it's best to let flow.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I'm somewhat known in the field of ska-punk underground of Buenos Aires.

But there are several artists that I admire in my hometown, mostly from the comic scene here are some names that I recommend googling: Franco Pellicciaro, Pulpo Corporate, Polaco Scalerandi, Dibujandohuesos Gonzalo Duarte, El Bruno, Lucas Varela and Gustavo Sala.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

You can see my work at my Facebook fanpage: facebook.com/CSRJARA.ROCKDSG, at my blog: csrjara.blogspot.com , and flickr: flickr.com/csrjara, also if you are in Buenos Aires stay tuned because I usually draw at parties where rock gigs are the main atraction.

The best praise you received lately?

A letter of recommendation from Marcelo Pont, Art Director of "El secreto de sus ojos" Academy Award winner for Best Foreign Language Film.

What can we wish you for the future?

I would love to work with the bands mentioned above, would be a dream come true. I also like to have a private label shirts collection and why not an action figure or vinyl toy of any of my designs!

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thank YOU for taking the time to see my drawings and read this interview.


1 commentaire:

Carla a dit…

In Argentina you will find all forms of art and, as you say, it is the best way to know the French culture without paying crazy amounts to stay in Paris. You can get an apartment rental in Buenos Aires for USD600 a month with all the services included, in a building that has security guards 24/7. ONce you are there, you will see that there are 50 museums (like in France) so if you want culture, there you have it!